Jan 19, 2012

We've Got a Job

I just finished reading We've Got a Job: The 1963 Birmingham Children's March, by Cynthia Levinson (Peachtree).  Although I was born in 1961 and wasn't aware of current events of the 60's as they happened, I have read quite a bit about the Civil Rights Movement.  Somehow I missed hearing about the Children's March, though, and so I found this book fascinating.  Levinson focuses on four young people who were involved in the March, weaving their stories in and around details of the larger Movement, a method that makes this narrative very accessible to children. It's liberally illustrated with photographs that today have the same power to shock and educate as they did when they were taken.

Going off to re-read The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963 now.

Cynthia Levinson's website
Peachetree Publishers website

No comments: